Welcome to website
WUMEA is an alumni body for Wits University graduates in Mining Engineering and Mining Geology. It is non-profi t organization which is affiliated to the University of Witwatersrand and therefore can receive donations and membership fees to carry out its mission. Amongst its activities, WUMEA provides financial support to deserving students studying towards a degree in Mining Engineering and Mining Geology, thus contributing to the sustainability of the industry in terms of human capital.
GUIDING STATEMENTS AND PRINCIPLES
A global network of mining engineers for Africa’s mineral and economic development.
WUMEA seeks to promote collegiality amongst Wits mining engineers, globally, in order to work together towards building a formidable mining engineering profession. Its aim is to provide a vehicle through which mining engineers can influence the development of the mining engineering profession to enhance its contribution to sustainable development in the African continent.
- Collaborate towards advancing the benefits of mining and alleviating its negative impact
- Continuing Professional development
- Network, anywhere
- To provide finance to deserving students studying towards a degree in Mining Engineering and Mining Geology. At the discretion of the Executive Committee this may be extended to any other engineering degree
- To facilitate the provision of high-level engineering educati on and skills for the betterment of Africa
- To provide a direct link between its members, the mining profession and the university of the Witwatersrand School of Mining.
- To further the interests of the mining profession and, strengthen the ties amongst members of the Association;
- To serve as an advisory body for young mining engineering professionals and facilitating Continuous Professional Development Support (CPDS);
- To maintain database of WUMEA mining engineering professionals, globally.
- To provide opportunities for our members to meet and share common interests
Our beneficiaries are Witwatersrand University students who are financially challenged in completing their studies towards a mining profession and all our alumni, locally and internationally.